Saturday 5 April 2014

AFC Blackpool (NWCFL Premier Division)

Today marks the last home game before Easter so this week I’ll be talking quite topically about eggs. 
And when I say eggs I really mean egg chasing.
Yes, the Super League rugby season is back again and this time around, at the ripe old age of 33, I’m starting to see the faintest glimpse of what it’s all about.  
I already know Abbey website gurus Tim and Paul are big fans as is bartender extraordinaire Keith, who got snapped at a Salford match the other week and found his picture doing the rounds on Twitter.
I normally steer well clear of rugby, mainly down to the bad impression of the game I was treated to at school. 
Rugby was on the curriculum but all we wanted to do was play football. We’d duck out of the rugby games until one day we were rounded up and forced to play one game to tick some boxes. That was one game too much. 
But it was the St Helens verses Leeds match last week that did it for me. With no football on the box I reluctantly decided to give the top of the table clash a go. And what a game to pick.
In front of a packed ground under intense floodlights the 26 monsters from either side of the Pennines went hell for leather right from the off. 
After paying good money to watch United amble through defeats this season, seeing a team put a real shift in is something that can be forgiven if they end up on the losing side as Abbey unfortunately have many times this season. 
I’ve left the Abbey Stad on several occasions in 2013/14 thinking: “Good effort but unlucky, lads.”
That same desire and work rate was there from both rugby sides and as the hooter blared out after 40 minutes I was texting my Salford Red Devils season ticket-holding friends asking: “Are you watching this?”
They were and within two hours of the game wrapping up I’d already agreed to go to the match with them over summer. “You’ll love it, they sing reworked versions of United songs. And you can drink.” Sounds good to me.
There’s not a hope in hell that football will be usurped in my heart by the sport with the odd shaped ball but as the warm summer months approach I can quite easily see what could be gained by a day out on the train to Huddersfield for a daft away day.
You never know, I might run into Keith and then who knows what manner of madness could occur.
Happy Easter. 
 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment