Saturday 30 August 2014

AFC Liverpool (NWCFL Premier Division)

When Barrie Walker’s promotion winners trudged off Runcorn Linnets’ glistening pitch in April 2013 there was a lot to be hopeful about. The lads had been narrowly beaten in the Division One Cup Final by thorn-in-the-side West Didsbury but the manner in which they flew at the Southern Mancunians in a blood and thunder second-half display was heartwarming. 
The yellow-shirted locals, who are used to watching attacking football from their NWCFL Premier League highflyers, were also impressed. “Just like watching Man United, this,” said one. I can safely say they were referring to the swashbuckling Ferguson era rather than the current malaise. 
What followed later that summer was sad but inevitable. One by one the crown jewels of Walker’s solid first team squad made their way through the exit door, returning only to smash Abbey with new clubs who were able to financially reward the youngsters for their efforts.
It wasn’t pretty but it’s been something the committee on the touchline and the lads in the dugout have just had to deal with. This club is small and perfectly formed but in business terms the emphasis has always been on the adjective ‘small’. You can understand why they went.
And you can also understand the buzz last week at the Alsager game when we saw some of them return.
With Des Flanagan coming back from Northwich Victoria and James Moss from Salford City, albeit on a part-time basis, you have the reunion of three-fifths of a backline that was tighter than a duck’s posterior in the promotion year. 
On his return to the fold, Mossy told me: “I loved it when I was at Abbey last time. I still speak to a few of the lads and I've been in regular contact with Gibbo ever since I left. 
“If I'm not involved at Salford it makes sense to come and play. They’re a top set of lads. We just need to start getting results which I’m sure will happen soon.”
In midfield the return of local lad Danny Hewitt from Evostik outfit New Mills is also a very welcome one, not least because his family are almost always in attendance when he plays. Two more on the gate is two more on the gate and all that.
Glad to be back among friends, Hewitt said: “Overall 2013/14 went well for me personally. It was my first season at Evo-Stik level and I was very keen to prove my self. After a rocky start I eventually nailed down a place in the first team midfield. 
“I had to work away quite a bit, sometimes on nights, and New Mills catered for me which I was very grateful for. The only reason I left was because the traveling times would sometimes clash with work so I had to make a decision and I chose to play a little more locally.”
And we’re glad he’s back. Now what about that lad Martin who left for Ashton United? He must be getting home sick by now. Time to send out an envoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment