Saturday 24 August 2013

Silsden (NWCFL Premier Division)


Front of house
With the 4-2-3-1 formation in full swing, the big question is who starts up front. Gibbo has an embarrassment of riches in that department with three top drawer strikers.
I’m a big fan of Sam Jones’ playing style. He’s a great all rounder and can more than hold his own when up against tight marking. He put the goals away last season when it mattered as well as bagging a great equaliser from the bench away at Stockport last week.
However, the touches Richard Chetcuti has shown in his brief time with us and the continuing strong presence of Wes Harney when he’s come on from the bench would suggest we’re by no means close to having a settled frontline. Reckon we could get away with starting 13 players?

The only one I know
I was absolutely gutted to learn of the passing of Jon Brookes, the drummer and founder member of one of my favourite bands The Charlatans. Jon, 44, was diagnosed with a brain tumour three years ago and died last Tuesday with his family by his bedside. We saw The Charlatans in concert only a month ago but sadly Jon was too poorly to play. He is survived by his wife and three daughters. My thoughts are with them.

The Smiths
How mint is it that our central midfield shares the same name as arguably Manchester’s finest musical export? I wonder what Morrissey would make of their football. They never Panic that’s for sure. As team captain Paul can certainly take responsibility for being a Bigmouth. With his alleged penchant for the tanning booths I’d say Tommy would see himself as a more of a Handsome Devil than a Sweet and Tender Hooligan or a Rusholme Ruffian. Let’s just hope that come the end of the season neither of them has cause to say Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now.

Pure poetry
Here’s a tenuous Abbey and Silsden link that you definitely won’t have come across before. It’s also an excuse to see one of my favourite John Cooper Clarke poems in print.
In just four verses, the Salfordian punk poet manages to name-drop both Reddish (Lower Gorton if you will) and our visitors’ postal town of Keighley. Impressive.

I'll tell you now and I'll tell you firmly
I don't never want to go to Burnley
What they do there don't concern me
Why would anybody make the journey?

I'll tell you know and I'll tell you flatly
I don't never want to go to Gatley
I don't even want to go to Batley
Where is that place exactly

Do I wanna to go to Reddish?
I wouldn't visit in a souped-up sheddish
What am I some kind of Nebbish?
No I don't want to go to Reddish

I'll tell you now and I'll tell you briefley
I don't never want to go to Keighley
I'll tell you now, just like I told Elsa Lanchester...
I don't ever want to go to... Cumbernauld.


No comments:

Post a Comment