Saturday 31 August 2013

Colne (NWCFL Premier Division)


Rachel Fairburn, 30, is a Harpurhey comedian on the rise. She’s very funny. I caught up with her for a chat

How did you get into stand up comedy?
My Mum made me do it! I always used to write jokes and sketches as a kid and she always thought I should try stand up. I didn't agree but when I was 24 I saw an advert for a comedy course and signed up. I've loved it ever since. Mums know best.

Who are your heroes?
Comedy wise, I'd say Louis CK, Steve Coogan and ArmandoIanucciNon-comedy, Liam Gallagher, even though he's a bit of a chump. He's a cool chump though. I'm a big Oasis fan.

Where do you source your set material?
Mainly from things that happen. I exaggerate them massively, I have a very over-active imagination. I'd be no good as a crime witness.

What has been your best gig so far?
Newcastle Stand about two weeks ago. Fantastic, up for it crowd.

And your worst?
Barnard Castle a few years ago. A man on the front row hated me and heckled before leaving with his dog. It turned out he was the landlord of the pub that booked the comedians! Sad thing was, I think his dog was really enjoying it.

Have you had any interesting heckles?
Hmm... mainly just ones where people are trying to be helpful.Like telling me they know someone who lives in a place I may mention in my set!  Nice yet distracting.

You’re rumoured to have a magic you-know-what. Care to elaborate on this?
Haha! Yes, every man I have had a relationship with has gone from being a struggling actor/comic/chef/tailor to having massive success! I put this down to a part of my anatomy they all knew quite well. If Abbey Hey aren't doing well at matches, I can pop into the changing room at half time and see what I can do.

Are you into football in any way shape of form?
I go to Manchester City games with my boyfriend. I like football. I'll watch any game.

What’s the best thing about Manchester?
Pubs and the history.

And the worst?
Mick Hucknall.

Describe Harpurhey in five words.
Not all that bad really.

Where can we catch you next?
All over the shop. I'm doing my first hour at the Kings Arms, Salford on 9 November. The show’s called All The Fun Of The Fairburn. Come and see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment